Monday, January 7, 2008

EMT Class

So like I said a few days ago, my EMT class has started and now I am finally getting into the swing of things. I have class on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. I am also working every day that I do not have class (except Saturdays, but I have class on a couple different Saturdays anyways). It is grueling but at least I am getting stuff done. It feels so much better to be busy with work and school again. I think a great amount of satisfaction comes from just ending a shift or class. Maybe it just makes me thankful for the times that I don't have to work. I don't know...

I have only had three days of class so far. Almost every class is 4 hours with a couple 3 hour classes dispersed throughout and a couple 8 hour Saturday sessions. The first day (and today) was kind of boring because we were discussing the huge syllabus, legal issues regarding being an EMT, and a [very dry] section on human anatomy. The second day was great because even though the material itself was boring, the lecture was awesome. We were talking about body substance isolation (BSI) procedures and the wellbeing of the EMT. We covered all the diseases that we would have to shield ourselves from and how to deal with the stress of it all (death, etc.). The instructor had great stories and was really energetic. We have two instructors and this guy is great in my opinion.

Anyways... I have been reading the material and I can't wait for it to get more interesting, instead of just this legal/health/whatever stuff. I can't wait to actually start using procedures. It is always awkward though, because we have to practice the procedures on each other and it is a very touchy feely course and you never want to offend anyone so you have to be careful. Throughout the course, people get used to it though.

Hmm... So much else that I could talk about, but I'm really tired. I will try and keep posting whenever I have time!

Goodnight,
Daniel

No comments: