Thursday, January 3, 2008

New Year

Well... Happy new year I guess. Let's hope it's better than the last one, right? I sure do at least. What if there is a set amount of happiness in the universe and just for the sake of argument (or until science proves otherwise) the universe is a closed system. This would mean that whoever had a great and happy year just stole it from another person. Interesting...

So I know it has been a while since I posted last but I have been just fed up recently. Too much stuff right now that I just don't want to even discuss. I did have a great Christmas though. I am very thankful for the gifts I got this year. I hope everybody else has had a great Christmas as well.

I started my EMT class today and it should be exciting but it didn't help raise my mood at all. Near the second half of the course we will actually be getting 'clinical/ride' time out in the field which should be overwhelming but enlightening. 10 hours is required, at least 5 in an emergency room. I can't wait. The class itself is, at times, lengthy and drawn out, though. Every class is about 4 hours. Sometimes just lecture, sometimes activities and labs. I hope it will really pick up quickly.

Hmm... I have been playing poker recently. Steven and I have started playing poker with some friends over the past two weeks. The first time I played, we did a $5 buy-in with one re-buy. I came in 2nd, which meant (for that night) I won $16. After that I was extremely interested in the game and went home and played online with play money (just chips, no real money folks). I had to re-buy the play money 3 times and then finally got my groove on. With the 3000 chips that I put into it, I am now over 24,000 chips. Not bad I'd say! Haha...

At the time that we played our second game with our friends, I was up about 11,000 chips online, so I probably gained some experience. We played another game with a $5 buy-in. This time with 2 re-buys. Needless to say I left the table with 1st place and $40. I love it!

I figure with the money that I won from these two poker nights (net $46) I might try playing with some other people in some actual games just to see what happens. Even if I lose, it will be fun and challenging. I think I might have a little talent where this game is concerned and I would like to pursue it. I honestly don't think I will continue to do this well, but may as well see.

The one thing about online play is that there is a lot less bluffing and reading of other players. Because it isn't real money (at least in the games I play) people don't have a problem just throwing chips in. Generally, if you play your big hands and fold your small hands online you will be able to gain. It's cheap really, which is why I like the stress of being in person; getting a great hand then playing weak to sucker people in, or playing strong to scare people out. It is awesome! I definitely want to start playing with more challenging players, though.

Anyways... I'm tired!

Goodnight,
Daniel

No comments: