I was thinking today about what it would be like if every teacher suddenly switched to a completely curved grading system. Actually, a modified curved grading system would do, too; one with a passing cut-off and a failing cut-off. This would raise the competitiveness of schools and remove the problem of grade inflation... Finally an A would actually be worth something! And a C would be average again... Not only that, but the C average would actually be determined by the students grades instead of some arbitrary number that some teacher thinks is passing. Why is 75/100 questions 'passing' anyways? Have you ever thought about that? Usually teachers compensate for this by adding a certain number of points to every students test.
I don't know... I just think this would be so much better. And if it were up to me too, I would make a majority of the grade rely on test scores instead of homework... But that's just me. It boggles my mind as to how some people can just 'blank' on a test.
Ooh... And if we incorporated standardized tests into the mix, we could compare the curves of all schools and school districts. This way we could award more funding to whichever schools have the best scores in order to breed competition and rivalry. No teacher could ever mask there effectiveness by handing out 'A's all the time then. Of course, vouchers would be a must too.
Hmm... This stuff is so interesting!
Later,
Daniel
Daniel
No comments:
Post a Comment