Wednesday, December 5, 2007

My Investing Game

So I have set myself up with an account on Investopedia. This is basically a virtual copy of the stock market where they give you a starting amount to invest with and you can practice and learn about investing in general. It is more tailored to specifically stock and options trading so there are no bonds, commodities, etc.

My first day ended and I made .46% on about $28k of varied stocks that I had purchased. This meant I made about $130! But of course I was down overall because it would cost me about $220 in brokerage commissions to trade it all back; each commission being $20. I know one day means practically nothing, but at least I didn't start off too poorly!

I decided to go with mostly big-name companies to begin with because I figured they would be more stable. I plan to maintain a patient and stable strategy throughout the majority of my portfolio, while leaving a small percentage specifically for more volatile and risky investments. These big-name companies included Boeing, Exxon Mobil, Amazon, Ebay, Citigroup, Adobe, Apple, and Home Depot. Although I do have reasons for choosing each one, I am unsure of what the outcome will be. That's why this is so fun! There is no risk and I will actually be learning something that I can use in the future. In fact... Here is a screen shot that will let you see exactly what I have (HERE).

Eventually, I hope to use what I learn to invest smartly with my own money in the near future. I don't want to 'get rich quick' but instead, maintain a steady 9-11% return on my investments. This may be a little too hopeful, but I think it can be done safely from everything I've read. I would also like to rollover some of the money I make into safer, more diversified options like bonds for example.

If you think I am nuts let me know. But regardless, it is fun to imagine the possibilities!

Goodnight,
Daniel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It agree, a remarkable phrase