Anyways... Onto more important topics. Oh, by the way, if anybody comes on here I would love to see a comment every now and then. Not that you have to, but it will be more exciting to here your thoughts as well.
I guess before I go, I will hit on a very important topic for me. The past 6 months or so have been a huge change for me. I changed colleges, changed careers, changed living accomodations, and I even changed my plans many times. This has become a frustration of mine. It seems that every time I think I'm making progress, I always hit a brick wall. Now it is becoming more and more apparent that my time at Central was pretty much for nothing.
When I got to Central I was anticipating getting my EMT-B certification in winter quarter because I needed a prerequisite First-Aid class. I met with the head of the department, Jim Pierce, and he informed me that number one, I didn't need the First Aid class anyway, and two, they aren't offering the EMT class in winter quarter. So I'm frozen basically. He did give me a contact however, where I'm hoping I might get my certification in the same time-frame this winter. It isn't as high-caliber of a class, which is disappointing, but there isn't much to be done about this.
What's more... I found out that to be a Paramedic in King County, you are required to go through their Paramedic program. Granted, it is touted as the best program in the world. I would very, very much like to get into this program because it is operated at Harborview Medical Center alongside the University of Washington, not to mention the fact that it is "ten times more rigorous than any program that Central could ever offer", according to an experienced classmate. I definitely want to be the best.
So, does this mean that I'm going to be forced to leave Central? I mean, I still have a housing contract and going for just a single quarter doesn't show much commitment. I think I will have to stay at Central for at least one more quarter in order to have housing while I'm taking this new EMT class through Kittitas County (I think). Regardless, I will have to leave soon and once I do, there won't be much of a point unless I have to settle on coming back because I can't make it into the King County program.
Another thing I should mention is that I also feel extremely uncomfortable about my parents helping me out so much with the financial aspect of everything. I just want them to know that I am so grateful and I know there is no way I could do any of this without them. I really hope I can settle into an EMT or firefighter position soon so I can get on my feet and start paying them back. I really feel obligated to start paying them back by the time Matt gets into college. That is my personal goal, regardless of how supportive they are. The last thing I want to do is make it harder for my parents to offer the same support to Matt when he gets into college.
It is a good time to mention that to even get into the paramedic program offered by King County, you have to have at least 3 years experience as an EMT. During those first 3 years, I will most likely get my Firefighter I & II certifications (at least I) which would be great. I definitely want both the fire and EMS sides.
This may turn out to be a good thing but in the meantime, there is not much certainty in my life. It is akin to a combat zone: you make a plan, realizing in the first place that your plan is literally going to be shot to hell. The best I can do is to keep pushing forward and pray for the best.
I have to crash but thanks for coming here and getting in on the action, haha... If anyone has any advice, I would love to hear it. I have a lot to write about right now, so don't be surprised to see more posts in the near future. Also, once I get up to Skykomish for volunteer work I definitely plan on bringing my camera and snapping some great pics of my work and the Cascades. I will get those posted soon after, but keep in mind that ski season hasn't even started yet so that is probably a while down the road. I also want to make a post about me and those cigars I told you I'd buy... Haha... Fun stuff, I smoked them both. Talk to you guys later!
Goodnight,
Daniel
Daniel
No comments:
Post a Comment